Review- The Zone (Soft Play area- Lancaster)

I have a lot to say about this place.

I have been to many soft play areas over the years, and I have seen some real sights. I have my all time favourite and I have every parents worst nightmare of an afternoon out with the tots. These places still hold their ranking positions.

Today, I was lucky enough to go and meet the owner of 'The Zone', which is located right in the city centre, and is the only soft play area, of it's kind, in the whole city.

The very first thing I noticed, was the stunning building in which the facilities are inhabited. I have never seen such beautiful features in a play centre, or indeed, in most places. The reception area is secure and very well staffed, who all wore a clear uniform, with 'STAFF' in large print on their backs, which not only looked smart and sophisticated, but it was clear enough, so that a member of staff could be found in an emergency.

The members of staff performed regularly checks of all of the facilities, and all tables were cleared and cleaned instantly. I think that this is really important, as many soft play areas are a great breeding zone for germs, so to see the staff regularly cleaning everything thoroughly, stood out to me.

I also noticed that there was never a queue due to ample amounts of efficient staff. This showed me, that this set up had been thought through, as the quicker you can order and receive your refreshments, the quicker you can get back to your children, and you are not queueing so children weren't getting bored and running towards the play area. This is a good way of ensuring that children remain safe at all times, and this is clearly what 'The Zone' pride themselves on.

There are two seated areas for adults to sit and supervise their children playing, both are wall papered and are very tranquil. Every table and chair was clean and there was plenty of space for children to run back and forth for refreshments, in between games.

The play area itself was immaculate and in excellent condition. Everything was clean and nothing had needed obvious repairs. Anything that had been damaged through wear and tear must have been replaced. There was a range of soft play, safe, clean toys for toddlers, in the special area, which although it is inclusive of the rest of the play area, it is sectioned off, so that wondering toddlers cannot escape without passing the adult responsible for them.

The ball pool was very clean and the balls were clearly of good quality and were new. They also had a suction tube, for the children to post the balls into, and then they watch them travel through the transparent tubing, into a plastic case. Then, once it is full, they can press a button so that the collection of balls rains down into the ball pool. My sons loved this feature. There is also a sensory target practise, with two targets. If you hit the target with a ball, one of three lights, light up on your side, if the other team player hits their target, it puts out one of your lights, the first team to get all three targets lit, wins. My sons were perhaps a little bit young for this, but it didn't stop them having a go, and with my help, we managed to get the table to light up, which filled my boys with glee.

This is not only, the only soft play area in the city centre, but it is owner of the second longest slide in great Britain. Even my eldest, who hates heights with a passion, managed to get to the top and slide down with ease.

Throughout the play area, there are decorative and educational, soft posters. I was impressed to see one which had optical illusions on.

The baby changing facilities were good, and I was pleased to see clean toilets, with a range of antibacterial hand washes, plenty of toilets and even potties, for the little ones. I didn't see a children's step to help them reach the sinks, but it was not a problem for me to lift my eldest son, so that he could wash his hands.

As it is the summer holidays, it was quite busy today, however, there was a time limit for play, which meant that it was never over crowded, and it was not only very safe, especially for the little ones who can sometimes find a lot of older children intimidating, but it was comfortable too.

In term time, I would hope that there wasn't a time limit, as at £4.00 per child, I can see why this has been off putting for some parents, especially if they have more than one child. There is a slight discount for more than 3 children, where you would be charged £3.50 per child, there is also a discount for younger babies, and babies under 1 are free, if I remember correctly, which is fairly standard practise.

I enjoyed the hour that I spent there, even though I would have liked to stay for longer, especially on a school day.

I would look to hear about offers, deals and promotions, as I think that this would entice me to come alone more often.

Some soft play areas have regular coffee mornings for children and parents and guardians who are looking to meet other parents and guardians in the local area, and I would be interested in this sort of thing.

Over all, I loved this family ran business, and I was pleased to see that they did not do fruit shoots, but a slightly healthier and less expensive alternative.

I can understand the point that some of the other local Mum's have made, that if there was a discounted rate for second children, they would be more likely to stay for dinner, however, this would end up costing more overall.

As play centres go, this one is far safer and cleaner than the majority I have been to, so for those reasons, I would be willing to pay the extra few pence to go to this one. As putting a price on your child's health, safety and happiness goes, it is a real bargain.