Guest blog: The Birth of Sophie- By Emma Doyle

The main reason I decided to share is just to say that a csection can be a calm & positive experience so don’t be fearful if you have to have one! The amount of times I’ve heard ‘too posh to push/easy option/cheated out of a vaginal birth/body is a failure’ associated with csections - erm no! I s’pose the gossip around celebs like Victoria Beckham and the latest Beyonce doesn’t really help matters. But what does it really matter anyway? It’s the end result that counts. A child birth in one form or another should mean we are just pleased that another child has entered the world happy & healthy and I applaud any woman that has ever given birth in any manner.

For me, I wasn’t gutted etc when I was told I was having a planned csection, it was just the way it was going to be and actually I was glad of that ‘certainty’ that a planned c-section brings, no waiting for labour to start, getting bombarded with messages “any news yet?”, how long labour will be, more waiting, will it be natural/drug/assisted, birth plan going out of the window etc Some of you may think that not very exciting but the ‘giving birth’ bit is a small part of the process anyway, 9 months growing him/her and the rest of your life looking after them! (ok, maybe the initial baby making deed was the smallest part but we don’t need to dwell on that lol)

So even though this is the birth story of my youngest (Sophie), it is so similar to my eldest’s (Chloe) that I could probably write them both in one story...

Apart from two issues I had with Chloe (both tongue twisters: oligohydramnios which is low amniotic fluid and meralgia paresthetica a trapped nerve in the thigh) the two pregnancies were identical – a sign of things to come?! Same symptoms, same cravings (Wispas!), same small bump, so same extra scans to check all was ok, same community midwife and most importantly, same position – breech – both with their head under my left ribs. Neither baby turned (probably due to my heart-shaped uterus, I think their heads got stuck up one of the sides!) so a planned csection for both it was.


Newborn Chloe 

Both pregnancies progressed well and with Sophie I was lucky enough to work up to the Friday, had one last weekend of preparation, had a big tea on Sunday night as you’re nil by mouth from midnight and then started to pop the various pills I’d been given at the pre-op appointment. I think I slept ok and then Monday 1st August arrived.

After an emotional farewell to Chloe who was being looked after by my mum & sis, we got to the hospital at 8am as planned and was greeted by a student midwife who made me feel very at home and said I was first on the list. I took that with a pinch of salt as I know emergencies etc can take priority. With Chloe, even though it was a planned csec my waters went as I was waiting for a theatre slot so I did get to experience some mild contractions whilst getting bumped up the list!
Anyway, walking into the maternity ward and seeing all those teeny newborns was a bit of a reality check!! Luckily, from then on there wasn't much hanging around. I got changed into the gowns and surgical socks etc, got obs taken, visit from doc and theatre midwife who felt my tummy and thought baby had turned and that I’d be going home to play the waiting game - I disagreed as I just knew where the head was so they got a portable scanner and confirmed baby was still breech, then a visit from the anaesthetist.

By 9.20am we were on our way over to theatre, Neil got changed and requested he didn't come in until I'd been fully prepped (this is due to him nearly passing out last time so he had to leave the room the wimp!). The atmosphere was really good, it was the same room as last time. I'm not really phased by all the equipment & needles etc so it was funny observing their distraction techniques, and obviously having done it all before it all came flooding back. I asked for Radio 1 to be put on as there was some really bad music playing! The anaesthetist had a bit of trouble getting the spinal in (owww! the pressure!!) but it all worked fine.

So then Neil came in and about 9.55am Sophie was born (I literally felt my tummy go flat!). Another girl – Chloe would be pleased! Coldplay 'Every Teardrop is a Waterfall’ was playing at the time (Leona Lewis ‘Bleeding Love’ with Chloe ironically) The sensation of feeling all the pulling etc is so weird when there is no pain. Truly bizarre. Anyway, she was a noisy one, and they bought her over, she still had quite alot of vernix on her but she was so much like her sister it’s like I instantly recognised her “I’ve seen this face somewhere before” I thought. Amazing! We had cuddles for a good 10 mins while they still worked on me, then the mw took her and Neil round to recovery. Think I was in theatre for 50 mins in total. In recovery I was told her weight (6lb 6oz) etc and we had skin to skin and she took to breastfeeding like a pro - I was so chuffed as I had a real struggle with Chloe. We were in recovery for another 20 mins while they did my obs etc. I felt really good if not a little in shock we had another little person in our family (I had been a bit in denial up until now I think).

New born Sophie

We were wheeled back to the ward - you're pretty oblivious to anything and anyone else at this point, you're just staring at your baby! It was all just so chilled out, a really positive experience. The morphine was strong although I didn’t get as spaced out as much as I did with Chloe. My drug dealers, sorry, I mean the midwives and the ward staff were really good, couldn't say a bad word about that aspect of things. Even the food was good. I didn't get much sleep but that’s just life on a maternity ward.

I was up for a shower and bandage off by 10am the next morning which was good. Sophie was seen by the doc, all good apart from a detected heart murmur so we had to go across to neonatal for some tests (at a follow up clinic no
w for that). The only 'bad' experience was the pain - jeez I didn't know the afterpains with your second child could be so bad. Also, having a 2nd csec can make recovery a bit harder too and the dreaded trapped wind (ask for magnesium in hot water - lifesaver!) I did have a little cry at one point cos it hurt so much. But we power on through and we were home after 3 days.

And we’re still powering on through 5 months later with my mantra ‘everything is a phase, this will pass’(currently chicken pox). I’m loving watching the sisterly bond form, although I doubt it will be there as much in 10 years time! Weaning, rolling and sitting will be next on the cards for Sophie. For Chloe, her current favourite game is ‘mummies’ (think she’s spent too much time at Netmums meets some of the stuff she comes out with). And as for me, I’m much more confident this time around and I think Sophie reflects the chilled vibe. My family is complete and all is good.

By Emma Doyle


Thank you to Wikipedia links and dictionary.com for definition links. Thank you to Emma Doyle, guest blogger, Mum and author.