Guest Blog: The Birth of Baby Number One- By Hannah Dohoney

1st baby (7 days early planned for home birth - didn't have one)


Mum and Dad had been on holiday so as tradition (pre children) we went to meet them in the local old mans pub. (don't worry i was on cola) Anyway we were all sat having a chat and catching up when at 22.30 i had a mild but noticably different pain in my tummy, getting excited but not wanting to get ahead of myself we headed home, i only had 1 other pain before bed. At 1 am I woke for the bathroom and had another pain then another within 20 mins. I was so excited, this was the start of it and I knew it and couldn't sleep at all with excitement and nerves.

I can't remember how the times went exactly now but in the morning we rang Mum and told her to come up as she was a planned second birth partner. Then rang the midwife to let her know things were started and as it was homebirth she poped by to see how far along i was, she checked and i was 3 cm gone so i was officialy going into labour yay. 

I nipped downstairs to get in the bath but when i opened the kitchen door I had a medium sized bleed and i panicked, luckily the midwife was there to calm me but rang labour ward for me to go in. So off we headed then.

On arriving at the labour ward we went in the room, I remember being SO excited to be there. I had decided that I didn't want pain relief except entonox and wanted it all to be as natural as possible, at 7pm that evening I got the urge to start pushing but i couldn't get baby out, at approx 9pm the anaesthetist came in and I was preped for a section by giving me a spinal and taking me to surgery but they decided to try a full episiotomy and rotational forceps (as baby back to back).

Mum stayed in the room waiting and Gaz came with me. He said watching the doctor trying to get baby out was like watching the hulk. Hehe...anyway after lots of pulling (by doc) and pushing (by me) my little baby was eventually born, Daddy was quickly allowed to announce the sex, A GIRL, before she was whisked away and given a brisk rub as she had gone into shock, then we heard that first beautiful cry. 

She was brought over for our first cuddle which was just lovely. 7 days early and weighing 7lb12oz of perfection. 


By Hannah Dohoney
Thank you to Wikipedia links and dictionary.com for definition links. Thank you to Michaela, guest blogger and author.