Guest Blog: The Birth of Baby Number Three- By Hannah Dohoney

3rd baby (2 days late and planned pain relief)

I'm against the clock, it's christmas in less than a week and I have 2 toddlers. Both of my other babies were early so its typical that this one is late as I need it here before christmas.

Had a sweep a couple of days before due date by community midwife... not a thing. So go for one at the hospital at 10.30 am, my word she made my eyes water but nothing looks hopeful in their words 'unfavorable' so i head out feeling v.v.low.

spd and a possible prolapse have kept me in for over a month (never mind running after a 2 yr old and 3 yr old while heavily pregnant) and i am never in i like to be out about and busy. plus to add to the pressure my aunt has come over from guernsey to meet the new arrival-oops.

Anyway my Mum, Aunt, her hubby and My other Aunt come by the house in the afternoon to cheer me up as we sit chatting i get the normal tightenings but 'know' nothing will come of them as it's the same i had the week before. 

By 5.00 pm they are quite regular but deffinatly not close enough or strong enough to be labour i text hubby, nan and mum saying to pray it is the start of something speacial but don't hold their breath. at 5.30 i text hubby 'i think this may be the start don't rush home but be ready' (as he pulled up outside) 6 pm mum called by with dad they are doing the santa charity collect round my street that evening and call for a brew 1st. 

Told mum i think she may have to be called back but doubt it. at 7 hubby rings mum to come back its deffinatly the start, i dont think it will be any time soon but can she come put the older children to bed. she is here within seconds as she was only round the corner anyway, i tell her it will probably be hours and go in the bath, on getting out the bath i sit on the sofa and tell mum i will hold out until the children have seen santa on the sleigh (which i know will be 8pm) then speak to labour ward.

2 seconds later i feel a pop and know my waters have broke, on standing it's very clear they have so we rang labour ward and were told to come in.

My goodness once the waters had gone them pains came flying in and were strong. 8.15pm got to the labour ward and had to wait in the small waiting area there, gutted as there was another lady woman who was sat there for a check of some sort and i think i may have scared her to death scrunching up my face then getting on all 4's and having hubby rub my back, we went in to a delivery room and woo hoo 8-9 cm... oh no 'can i have a epidural' i couldnt as apparently the anesthetist  had to go to emergency surgery- hubby thinks this is a 'no hun your too far gone but i don't want to be the one to break your heart'- as i couldn't have epidural i did panic a bit and asked for the diamorphine which she gave me at around 9/9.30 I had been on the entonox until then and kept it with me to bite the tube through the birth. 

At 10pm my hubby was again left to announce we had a girl 8lb8oz of gorgeous baby girl and the best birth experience of my life...... so far.


By Hannah Dohoney


Thank you to Wikipedia links and dictionary.com for definition links. Thank you to Michaela, guest blogger and author.