Guest Blog: The Birth of Alex- By Stephanie Garrett

I was coming up to the final days of pregnancy and was having what was to be my last routine midwife appointment, it was a different midwife, i had all the usual checked and when i lay on the table for her to measure my bump, she turned away thought for a moment then measured again and without saying anything went to the phone.....errr whats going on i wondered really quite nervous by now. 

Anyway, as the other side of the phone was ringing out, she informed me and my husband that i was measuring really quite large....i guessed as much cos i was huge, had dreadful sciatica and couldnt move much lol...

Anyway, this was two days before my due day and she was phoning the hospital so that we could go and have a quick sharpish 'growth scan' . So off we popped to the hospital, quite excited because we were going to have a sneaky peak at baby before he/she arrived. 

Once in the room and having the scan the two sonographers/nurses, while Dan held my hand tightly, were talking quitley between themselves and sent us out to the waiting room once more. 

While we waited we talked about how lovely the scan was and how excited we both were. 

We were then called back in , I thought we were getting the results but we were told that i was to be scanned again, same again wait in the waiting room. When we finally got the results, the midwife showed us the scan results of the size of our baby, they had had to stick another A4 sheet of paper onto the normal chart to compensate for the babies size, i was 40 weeks pregnant measuring 46 weeks!!! 

We were told to wait again, this time to see a consultant who eventually came and told us that this could potentially be a 13 - 15lb baby WTF!!!!!

I nearly fainted haha. I was then told that i would have to have a Cesarean section (of which i had never even thought about let alone thought i would ever have) This was Thursday....i was booked in for Monday......'Go home and relax and enjoy your weekend' i was told 'see you monday' .......Friday morning i went for a wee and got up to wash my hands thinking 'oooh what can we do today?!' ......then an uncontrollable and unstoppable surge of water shot from between my legs....'ahhhh so thats what were doing today!!!


There was blood in my waters which i was told if i have that to phone labour ward straight away, and they told us to come down for an elected emergency section.......meanwhile in the middle of the tsunami (AKA my nether regions) it showed no sign of slowing or stopping, i thought i was just going to be a bag of bones as no one can carry this amount of water!!!

This carried on, on the journey to the hospital, in the car park and up to labour ward.....it was absolutley hilarious, theres me with a bloody beachtowel between my legs in broad daylight!! 

I was amazed by how many staff we saw and how wonderful they all were, i cannot fault one of them : ) 

Once prepped, having had a spinal block and an epidural....im ready. I am quite nervous and aware of how quiet me and Dan are, I am given something to get rid of the feeling of being sick, it worked quick! I just saw the odd head bob over the top of the surgical curtain that was covering me from under my boobs down, and everyone was busy and making chit chat, then finally with no pain (just tugging and pulling sensation) i heard a cry and a midwife say 'OOOHHH He's peeing everywhere' and thats how we found out we had a boy : ) and what a boy he was ..... not quite the giant that had been predicted but still a huge 11 lb and half an ounce, and every single lb and oz was beautiful. 

I would not change a single thing that happened that day and will be forever grateful for the little boy who entered our world 7th May and has made our little family so complete, I am now outnumbered 3 boys to 1 and loving every minute : ))





By Stephanie Garrett




Thank you to Wikipedia links and dictionary.com for definition links. Thank you to Stephanie Garrett, guest blogger, Mum and author.