Guest Blog: The Birth of Isabella Faye- By Michaela

The birth of my second daughter was such a relief. When I found out I was pregnant with Isabella, it was a complete shock. I was scared and to be honest didn't really want to look like one of them mums that had a million kids and a double buggy... But here I am anyway and very proud to be one. 

We knew from our 20 week scan, that what we were convinced was a little boy, whom we decided to called Jase, had now surprised us yet again, and was in fact a princess, whom we decided to call Isabella. I was quite adamant that I wanted her middle name to be Faye as I had liked it the first time round as our second choice. 

From this moment we were told she was a pretty big baby with an unusually large abdomen. (the belly is still here now 11 months on!) so we had plenty of growth scans with Bella. 

We also thought we had Placenta praevia but was lucky enough to come out on the safer side of things at 31 weeks. 

Now Bella was growing pretty big by this point, so at my 39 week consultant appointment I was a little more than forward, when I told them I wouldn't wait another 2 weeks before an induction. 

It was so, so hard looking after a baby and being heavily pregnant, as Olivia was only 13 months old when Bella joined us. So I got my wish and my induction was given for my due date of 23rd January 2011. 

I went in with all my bags packed and organised, I'd given Olivia a kiss goodbye and sent her off to her Nanna's, before having a little cry because we weren't going to have any real time alone together for months now. Feels quite silly now but still. And I arrived at the hospital to be shown to my bed, and left. Literally. They examined me and said I was more than favourable and about 1cm dilated and they left me to it. I was told by several midwives it would be happening in an hour, every hour. 

Come Tuesday afternoon I was on the verge of tears, so Mike brought Olivia in to see me, which didn't help my emotions but it was lovely to see her. Mike came and went throughout the day as there was no point in him sitting there before induction actually took place, so I waited and got fibbed off some more. 

Then Tuesday night about 8pm (ish) I started to get some contractions. With your second baby you seem to know what's going on a little quicker, so I went from my bed in the ward to the midwife on the front desk. 

She looked at me as if I was lying and clearly thought I just wanted starting off. I got the usual... Have a paracetamol and a bath. This just made the contractions a million times worse and I was literally screaming in the bath. The midwife let herself in and said the delivery suite were waiting for me. 

What a relief. 

I called Mike half naked and sobbing in the bathroom at about 11 o'clock and asked him to come down, as she was on her way. I was taken over to my room and was ready to undertake my second labour in 13 months. 

Mike got here and by this point I looked a mess. I'd had my diamorphine and gas and air, so was feeling a little high, so my mood was lifted. I left Mike in the corner with my hospital gown half open whilst going to the loo and said "you'll never see me this attractive ever again," I returned and labour progressed. I was examined and was already 8cm's dilated. I immediately Asked for the epidural after learning that Isabella was a big baby I wasn't taking my chances before it was too late. It was the same lady as last time. Labour slowed right down as did my contractions. I was given the drip to speed things up and my waters were broken. I was given a little drink of water whilst Mike was offered food! I was starving and this did not help my mood at all. He then sat in the corner for what seemed like hours listening to his iPod and falling asleep while i apparently snored away on the bed. 

Mike went to get food and then I got a new midwife, who must have read my notes and was very interested in my mums suicide, which was not particularly appropriate and rather awkward, but I guess it took my mind off things. About 9am I was then asked to start pushing as I was fully dilated. And just like before, I went hell for leather. And got nowhere, I'm clearly not cut out for that bit! 

The midwives told me they could see her coming but I had the most almighty pain which wasn't the baby on my left side, roughly by your ovaries. And I must have told them a hundred times but they didn't bother as she was nearly here. So I gave in and asked for a ventouse. A consultant who was a large Scottish lady came in and performed the ventouse to get Bella out. This must have taken about 3 or 4 pushes and a big and very sore tear and she was here. 

She was put straight on my chest and again I cried. And again I apparently made Mike cry. Men and denial eh. Mike cut the cord as he didn't get the chance to with Olivia, as the doctors didn't let him with our little struggle towards the end. Bella was weighed and pooed so all the mess was done with thank god. 

I was then bed bathed and stitched up while Mike held the baby and I texted everyone telling them she was here. 

Bella weighed 8lb 10oz and was born at 12:57pm. 

I was then put in a private room and it was visiting times so I had every bloody relative on standby coming and leaving literally in a queue to meet her. I have some lovely memories from this time and some beautiful pictures of Olivia meeting her little sister. And I am now done with labouring for the unforeseeable future :) x

By Michaela

Thank you to Wikipedia links and dictionary.com for definition links. Thank you to Michaela, guest blogger, Mum and author.